Special Section on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Shared from the USBC Stayin Abreast: Weekly Wire,
As communities around the nation respond to the global Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
pandemic, the USBC has continued to serve as a communication hub for the breastfeeding field. View the updated "Infant and Young Child Feeding in
Emergencies" webpage for key resources on COVID-19 and infant feeding. See the Staying Abreast: Weekly
Wire archive for previous compilations of COVID-19 resources and updates.
Highlights from the field include:
- The American Academy of Pediatrics has published a report titled "Initial Guidance: Management of Infants Born to
Mothers with COVID-19." The guidance addresses the care of infants whose mothers have confirmed or suspected COVID-19.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics has published a webpage titled "FAQs: Management of Infants Born to Mothers
with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19." The FAQs provide initial guidance for the management of infants born to mothers with confirmed or suspected COVID-19.
- CBC: The California Breastfeeding Coalition has released the recording and slides from a webinar titled "COVID-19: Infant Feeding During the Postpartum Period." The presentation discusses World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines
and recommendations for infant feeding and COVID-19.
- Congress: Senator Robert Casey (D-PA) has introduced the "Food Assistance for Kids and Families During COVID-19 Act of 2020" (S.3563). The bill would modify nutrition programs to address the Coronavirus disease,
including permitting state agencies administering the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) to extend the infant certification periods and
women's postpartum eligibility to two years.
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project: The COVID-19 Health Literacy Project, developed in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing,
has launched a series of fact sheets with accessible COVID-19 information to help all patients know when, and how, to seek care. The fact sheets have been translated into 35 languages and dialects.
Media highlights include:
- DoD: The U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Health Agency has published guidance titled "DoD COVID-19 Practice Management Guide Clinical Management of COVID-19." The guidelines reflect the best information available to guide decision making in the
management of COVID-19 patients. Included is information on screening and triage, infection prevention, specimen collection, clinical management, treatment options, telemedicine, emergency medical
services, and ethical considerations. The guidance specifically addresses postpartum care and breastfeeding.
- EmbraceRace: EmbraceRace has published a webpage titled "Disproportionate racial impacts of COVID." The webpage compiles news links and resources addressing the uneven impact of COVID-19 on communities of color.
- HealthConnect One:
- The Human Milk Banking Association of North America has published a webpage titled "COVID-19." The webpage includes updated statements from HMBANA and resources regarding milk banking and donor milk.
- The Human Milk Banking Association of North America has released a statement titled "Why Donor Human Milk is an Essential Need During COVID-19." The statement describes the crucial role of donor human milk during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- IBLCE: The International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners has published a document titled "IBLCE Advisory Opinion on Telehealth." The advisory addresses the provision of lactation consulting services via telehealth, particularly in light of COVID-19, and
whether such services can be offered in accordance with IBCLC practice.
- KFF: The Kasier Family Foundation has published a report titled "Novel Coronavirus 'COVID-19': Special Considerations for Pregnant Women." The report outlines considerations for how the pandemic may specifically impact pregnant women
and summarizes what is known about pregnancy and COVID-19, including information on breastfeeding.
- The Lancet: The Lancet has
published an article titled "US NICUs and donor milk banks brace for COVID-19." The article describes the adjustments that neonatal intensive care units and donor milk
banks in the United States are making to address challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NACHW: The National Association of Community Health Workers has published a webpage titled "COVID-19 Resources." The webpage compiles essential materials for community health workers addressing COVID-19.
- NCAI: The National Congress of American Indians has published a webpage titled "COVID-19: Resources for Indian Country." The webpage includes a database of letters sent by NCAI to the Administration on behalf of tribal nations in response to COVID-19,
as well as other news and resources.
- UCSF: The University of California San Francisco has announced the PRIORITY (Pregnancy CoRonavIrus Outcomes RegIsTrY) study, a nationwide study of pregnant or recently pregnant women who are either under investigation for COVID-19 or have
been confirmed to have COVID-19.
- ZERO TO THREE: ZERO TO THREE has published a state initiative report titled "States Modify Home Visiting Services in Response to COVID-19." The report tracks various steps states have taken to support home visiting programs during the
COVID-19 News & Views
HealthConnect One blog: "Doulas are not visitors; birthing moms need support"
KIRO 7: "Coronavirus: Milk bank takes extra steps to protect babies amid COVID-19 pandemic"
Lactation Matters (ILCA blog): "Providing Lactation Support During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Q&A With Annie Frisbie, Practicing in New York, US"
NWA blog: "Blog Post: WIC Shopping in the COVID-19 Emergency"
The Cut: "'They Separated Me From My Baby' Hospitals are keeping newborns from their parents over coronavirus fears."
The New York Times: "Should You Breastfeed if You Have the Coronavirus?"
Women's eNews: "Covid-19 Restrictions on Birth & Breastfeeding: Disproportionat